About Irene Cecile
My name is Irene, and I love beauty and craftsmanship. My goal is to ensure that what I create on your behalf is nice to look at, and conveys the message you want to send.
In 2000, I studied biology at the University of Leiden. I chose biology out of love and admiration for nature – the little creatures, and how everything, mind-blowingly, works. Eventually I realised that I wanted to pass on my knowledge, passion, and admiration. So, I did an internship at the Naturalis museum’s educational department and graduated in science communication.
Following my studies, I wanted to learn more about visual communication. How can you use images to better illustrate what you mean? I continued my studies at the Royal Academy of Art in The Hague (KABK) and subsequently launched my own business in 2009 – now I create wonderful things all day long!
It goes without saying that I enjoy working with other creative professionals in my network, if it leads to a better final result.
I’m happy to help you with:
- infographics (including research and text if necessary)
- educational illustrations
- medical illustrations
- graphic design (logo, website, corporate identity, book layout, etc.)
- hand-drawn maps
I love illustrations and designs with:
- a hand drawn look and feel
- bright and communicative colors
- a sense of humor
- clarity and simplicity
I like to work:
- with clear agreements (nice for both of us)
- while keeping in touch regularly (to make sure we are still heading in the right direction)
- quickly (getting started is nice, finishing a product is even more fun)
- well (when you’re happy, I’m happy)
Call or email me for an informal conversation, a free brainstorm session or a quotation right away.
+31 6 36 00 11 50
Besides all that, I’m still just Irene. I live in a lovely house near the centre of Leiden with my boyfriend, Maarten, our two children, Yuki and Jip, and the birds in our garden.
I love walking barefoot in the grass, having fun with friends, unexpected beauty, Thai curry, and empty notebooks. I also enjoy falling autumn leaves, an empty desk, red shoes, buying children’s books for myself, long walks with Maarten, dancing with Yuki, and laughing with Jip.
Resume Irene Cecile (1981):
- 2009 – present: illustrator and graphic designer at Irene Cécile
- 2005 – 2009: Royal Academy of Art (KABK), The Hague (Cum Laude)
- 2006 – 2008: Minor in “Art and Business”, Leiden University (Cum Laude)
- 2000 – 2005: Biology, Leiden University (major in science communication)
- Medical Contact Communication Prize 2016, nomination
- World Wide Picture Book Illustration Competition (WWPBIC) 2015, winner
- De Familiekamer art prize, nomination
- Leiden Photo Festival, nomination
- Gouden Grijns, nomination
- Hermine van Bers Visual Arts Prize 2010, nomination
- ArtOlive Young talent ’09, nomination